The dba Envy2 enthuses dba’s original design principles with the best performing speaker components available.
Sharing the same design principles used throughout the Envy range and using proven audiophile components define the Envy 2 as one of the best loudspeakers available today.
Envy 2 combines a decoupled ferrite core bass driver with a Planar tweeter driver.
The drive units are all manufactured by specialist companies well known for their contributions to the Home, Professional and Premium Automotive sector. All dba Bass and Mid-bass drivers are hand-built to exacting and long-lasting specifications defined for Audiophile reproduction.
The dba bass driver utilizes a 3” voice coil and is shaped for optimum response and dispersion with the centre radiating the highest frequencies of the performance together with the outer periphery of the cone for lowest tones.
The driver is produced to exacting standards in Sweden for dba.
The reason for the cone’s appearance, not so much a cone but very nearly a dome. The shape of this diaphragm is no accident either. That’s not an oversized dust cap you see, it’s an all one-piece cone design. The design is for optimum response and dispersion, in a sense it is tuned: the “center” radiates the highest frequencies of the driver, the outer portion the lower tones.
This Planar type driver is a proven and capable method of reproducing high frequency sound accurately.
Unlike conventional tweeters the design of the Planar has an extremely wide horizontal sound dispersion integral to the wide focal arrangement of the Envy range.
At the core of this unit is a high precision Kapton Film membrane and aluminum conductor-set, these define the performance of this tweeter that others long to attain but rarely achieve.
- The Envy 2 utilises multiple one-piece Carbon spheres, hand made by experience technicians using construction methods used in highest-levels of Aeronautics.;
- 100% Bonded design, no fixings, no variability, totally uniform energy dispersion.;
- Homogeneous 1-Piece Carbon Spheres*.;
- Unique internal texturing to deliver unrivaled resonance elimination.;
- Internal sphere-sphere porting to maximise the effective volume available.;
- Multi-part lacquering process helps reduce airborne drag and increase sound purity.;
- Driver to enclosure relationship defined to emphasis low distortion and diffraction.;
- Produced using the highest grade of carbon fibre at pressures over 100psi, in a vacuum and at temperatures exceeding 150 degrees – above the operating range of any driver and thus inert to the performance.;
- Precision machined aviation grade aluminum used for the sphere-sphere mount, internal port and base-legs.;
- Laser-etched elements to emphasise the dba brand and its logo without hindering air-flow around the enclosures.;
- 2x Swedish made, 165mm single-piece carbon/Kevlar poly-composite cone driver design with an 80mm coil circumferentially aligned to an isolated ferrite magnet core.;
- 2x 50mm Neodymium Planar high frequency drivers from Hi-Vi.;
- Particulate filled leg with a solid cable core to further isolate the performance with a CofG inches from the ground rather than mid way up its stance.;
- Crystal-Acrylic 4 point base designed for aesthetic transparency and a robust vibration-free relationship between the ground and the drivers.;
- 60ply Carbon floor-spike contact-coasters with natural rubber membrane;
- Quad-Core 399 strand per core at 0.1mm Cryogenically adjusted Ultra Oxygen Free Copper integral cabling with 18-carat gold plated cold welded banana connectors, fully protected physically and electrically with a Polyester/Terephthalate earthed sheathing matrix.;
- Alternatively we can provide jacks housed under the base in a convenient Carbon enclosure with additional grounding capability for the complete enclosure (DNM cabling used internally & for network).;
- * Choice of lacquered Carbon and Kevlar finishes – Millennium paint pallet on request.;
peering into the sphere
Carbon-fibre is recognised as one of the most advanced materials in regards of stiffness with an infinitely uniform construction.
The general constructs of carbon-fibre are well know to many: it is light, very strong, air and water tight and can be manipulated into nearly any shape imaginable and has unmatched electrical properties for a material of its thickness.
The 1 piece Spherical enclosures designed and developed by dba and MCT have the transparency and uncoloured sound that is as close to the reference as possible.
The Spherical enclosure provides exceptional clarity of reproduction and imagery by the combination of a non-resonant, low diffraction enclosure together with a lens coupling of the source driver to the enclosures surface.
The enclosures are not ported resulting in very precisely controlled cone excursion and non of the speakers suffer from tuned port resonance effects.
Through extensive research from the initial spheres made in 2005 we now have a consistent high-pressure forming process (100psi) which in one single process forms the sphere and builds a non-uniform texturing of the internal spherical surface. This surfacing, through experimentation, has resulted in measurable degradation in resonances